Position: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Address: 400 M L King Jr. Blvd., Bristol, TN 37620-2360
The YMCA of Bristol is an equal opportunity employer
committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
Position Description and Board Expectations: The YMCA of Bristol has a strong foundation and is seeking a leader who will be an ambassador for the mission, goals, and values of the YMCA within the community. The CEO must be active in civic and community groups, be respected as a leader and uphold the highest standards and values exemplified through their interactions with members, staff, and the board.
Through high-performance standards and expectations, they will be able to engage in the community with stakeholders and align the YMCA to collaborate with agencies to create more impact. Ensure that every community member who interacts with the YMCA leaves with a sense of belonging and the organization understands this commitment and upholds a high standard of personal conduct.
Must be able to utilize technology to better serve the community, whether it is communicating on updates and promotions through social media or enhanced operating system to pull reports to understand utilization rates to increase program offerings to increase and retain members.
If you are an energetic, passionate individual who is committed to making an impact in a small city community, then this position may be the perfect fit for you! Must have entrepreneur spirit with the ability to wear many hats; someone who is both strategic and tactical. Chief Executive Officer must reside within the Bristol, Tennessee service areas.
• Implement the Strategic Plan: The ability to work effectively with the board of directors, volunteers, community leaders and key staff to deliver on the critical community needs and implement the strategic roadmap focused on organizational strategies. Lead staff through the implementation of goals through an annual operating plan. Lead volunteers in aligning committees and their charts of work to support the strategies and goals of the Y. Key competencies: influence, values, relationships, inclusion, communication, project management, innovation, decision making, quality results
• Fiscal Management: Ensure the Y’s financial resources are properly managed and report on its financial position. Use high-level financial analysis to forecast trends, growth, and stability while consistently leading Y to balance or surplus operations by growing earned revenue and contributions and controlling costs. Empower and guide staff to lead their departments and monitor and meet budgets. Develop and implement stewardship strategies including building the endowment and planned giving programs. Key competencies: decision making, project management, finance, quality results, functional expertise, developing others
• Improve Operating Performance: Partner with the board to identify issues and develop an annual tactical plan for achieving key YMCA goals and objectives to solve them. Remain fully informed of all operational issues and be able to quickly address issues that arise as well as forecast future needs. Ensure the Y’s financial resources are properly managed and report on its financial position. Use high-level financial analysis to forecast trends, growth, and stability while consistently leading the Y to balance or surplus operations by growing earned revenue and contributions and controlling costs. Determine new and creative ways to promote the YMCA through effective marketing and communications and create an annual calendar with measurables action plans to address the Ys needs. Key competencies: communication, influence, quality results, finance, decision making
• Build and Manage the Staff Team: Serve as a leader who can motivate, engage, and retain staff in a positive and productive manner by creating and setting an expectation for excellence. Demonstrate an engaging, open, positive and inclusive leadership style and display integrity, a high regard for honesty and courage and an open mind to innovative ways of improving services and expanding impact. Key competencies: quality results, relationship, influence, community, communication, developing others, change management, values
• The YMCA has the opportunity to strengthen these areas to have greater
impact in the Bristol community:
o Capital development for facilities and program expansion
o Membership and program expansion
o More collaboration within our community with school systems, federal government, and other agencies
o Endowment development Key competencies: values, community, volunteerism, philanthropy, inclusion, relationships, influence, communication, developing others, decision making, innovation, project management, finance, quality results, self-development, change
capacity, emotional maturity, functional expertise
Salary Range: $75,000 – $95,000 commensurate with experience.
Residency Expectation: Living in the YMCA’s service area is required.
Benefits: A competitive benefits package to include PTO, participation in the YMCA Retirement Fund (when eligibility criteria are met) at 8% YMCA contributed, life, LTD, major medical, dental, and an array of supplemental options.
Minimum Criteria for Candidates:
1. Accredited 4-year college degree.
2. Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills and personal values consistent with the YMCA mission.
3. Minimum five years prior experience in a senior management role with a YMCA or related experience at a comparable organization with direct supervision of multiple levels of staff and employees.
Preferred Criteria for Candidates:
1. YMCA Organizational Leader Certification (obtain within 3 years).
2. Fiscally sound business management approach.
3. Strategic planning and fundraising experience including annual campaigns and the securing of grants.
4. A proven track record of budgetary and fiscal management.
YMCA of Bristol Association Facts:
The YMCA of Bristol is a long standing and well-respected organization in the community. It is the largest health and wellness facility in the community serving almost 10,000 community members each year. Programs includes; swim lessons, summer camp, after school, group exercise programs and youth sports. The Y also has a very strong teen program, special needs partnership and summer reading program.
The Association was chartered in 1884 with a store front facility in Bristol until 1907. In 1907, a magnificent four-story building was built that consisted of a pool, gym, bowling alley, hotel rooms and meeting rooms. In 1968, the current facility was built. At the time it was one of the finest
YMCA buildings in the country. Since 2006, the building has been under renovations. Currently, 90% of the building has been renovated while incurring NO DEBT.
Over 3.5 million has been raised and invested in the YMCA of Bristol over the past 15 years. The last capital project for the Y was in 1989 to add a second indoor pool and women’s health center, around $500,000 was raised and the same amount in debt. In 2000, the Y purchased an outdoor pool.
$1.6M budget size (82% from membership, 10% from programs, 8% from contribution and grants and 1% from others). $1.7M in endowment and a balanced budget of the last 15 years. Over $300K in operating and reserve funds. All debt was retired in 2002 through the donation of a very supportive individual.
Attractions and quality of life benefits to living and working in the community: Located at the crossroads where the paths of four states intertwine, Bristol, itself, is a twin city that straddles the Tennessee/Virginia state line, which runs the length of State Street in the historic downtown. Bristol, recently named the Most Charming Town in America by ShopOnMain.com, is uniquely situated within a day’s drive of half the United States’ population.
Bristol offers an exceptional quality of life, with low cost of living and moderately priced real estate. Located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, four distinct seasons and a temperate climate offer abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. This favorable location, which boasts a sound infrastructure and a population with a strong work ethic, makes Bristol an extremely desirable place to live.
YMCA of Bristol: http://bristolymca.net
Bristol Chamber of Commerce: http://www.bristolchamber.com
City of Bristol, TN: www.bristoltn.org
Travel to Bristol TN: www.tnvacation.com/east-tennessee/bristol
YMCA of the USA: www.ymca.net
Discovering Bristol: www.discoverbristol.org
Birthplace of Country Music: www.birthplaceofcountrymusic.org
Bristol Motor Speedway: www.bristolmotorspeedway.com
Bristol TN Economic Development: www.bristoltn.org/135/Economic-development
Search Process Target Dates:
Resumes accepted through: June 29, 2018
First round interviews scheduled: July 30 – 31, 2018
On-site interviews: August 28 – 29, 2018
CEO selection made: September 1, 2018
New CEO on board (anticipated): October 1, 2018
Candidates will apply via the following website: https://tinyurl.com/bristol-ymca-ceo
Candidates will be requested to submit the following with their online application: A resume and cover letter, along with six professional references.
Please Note: References checked on final candidates only with prior notification.
Questions regarding this position should be directed to:
Anne Koo Thornquist
CEO Search Director
YMCA of the USA
YMCA of the USA